- 9.1Unlike the Fountainbridge Brief, where major redevelopment is proposed on the site of the Scottish & Newcastle Brewery, there are limited development proposals currently anticipated in the Tollcross area. The brief seeks to highlight the potential for improvement that exists in the area and provide a framework to guide the assessment of planning applications and encourage investment from various sources, including developer contributions.
- 9.2Implementation of the brief will require partnership working between the various public and private sector stakeholders who have an interest in the future of the West Tollcross area. The Council will have a pivotal role in bringing together the proposals and resources of different parties to achieve the objectives of the brief. In particular it can assist the implementation of the brief in the following ways:-
- Land Acquisition – with a number of land ownerships, including the Council’s own interests, progress in meeting the brief’s objectives is likely to require the active intervention of the Council in land acquisition. If necessary, the Council will investigate the potential to make use of its Compulsory Purchase Order powers.
- Determination of Planning Applications – The approved brief will be a material consideration in the determination of planning applications in and adjacent to the West Tollcross area. Future proposals will be required to demonstrate how they will contribute to meeting the overall objectives of the brief, either through financial contributions or including improvements works as part of a planning application.
- Delivery of road and public realm proposals – The Council through its Transport function, together with relevant developer interests will bring forward detailed designs and the necessary stopping up and parking orders to implement the provisions of the brief.